[whatwg] The m element

Charles McCathieNevile chaals at opera.com
Wed Feb 7 21:05:57 PST 2007

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 07:21:49 +0530, Jonathan Worent <jworent at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au> wrote:
>
>> Leons, you forgot to CC the list.

>> > Would you say that <em> is semantic and <m> is presentational, with
>> > the difference from <span> is in default formatting? Or is "meaning"
>> > not quite the right word - is <m> like a highlighter in revision
>> > change tracking, meant to be seen and then discarded?

In what way, apart from denoting that something is particularly relevant within
a phrase in a given context, does emphasis change the meaning of something?

(I am not being rhetorical here, I genuinely don't understand any difference. I
don't know how representative I am of native english speakers, but I am a good
translator into at least a couple of languages and I am at a complete loss as to
how I would explain the difference in any of them).

>> No, <m> does have semantics. It marks a specific point of interest, as
>> you might do with a highlighter, it just doesn't alter the meaning of
>> the text itself.
>
> Isn't this what <strong> is for? I.E. signifying the contained text is somehow
more important than
> the surrounding text but not changing the meaning.

Strong provides a strong emphasis, no? - where you really want to highlight
something a lot...

cheers

Chaals

chaals at opera.com Try Opera 9.1 http://opera.com