[whatwg] The m element [em and strong]

David Latapie david at empyree.org
Thu Feb 8 06:21:21 PST 2007

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 13:35:12 +0100, Øistein E. Andersen wrote:
> On 8 Feb 2007, at 9:42AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> "importance" is differen[t] from "emphasis".
>
> This is indeed what the current version of the specification says,
> but I honestly
> think this distinction is too artificial to work in practice.

ditto, but I'm open to/welcoming arguments

> More importantly, emphasis is customarily used to convey importance,
> which implies
> that the two concepts cannot be dissociated in HTML5 without causing
> confusion.

Do you mean than focus is another subset of emphasis?

> The Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emphasis_(typography)
> is also relevant to the more general em/strong/m/b/i discussion, as
> it clearly
> defines any change in font style as a kind of emphasis.

As a reminder: not only font-style, but also voice:
voice-stress:moderate and voice-stress:strong also apply.

An example where there is emphasis without importance is the
“highlighting” of foreign words (at least in French, please someone
confirm for English):

/Conquistadores/ were wearing /morrión/
               font-style:italic
font-style:italic
               voice-stress:normal
voice-stress:moderate

(for the sake of simplicity, let's assume we wanted to emphasize the
name of the helmet)

Conquistadores: foreign word, italic
Morrión:        important,    italic

Can we say that both words are emphasized? Or only "morrión"?
--
</david_latapie>             U+0F00
http://blog.empyree.org/en (English)