[whatwg] The m element

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Thu Feb 8 09:22:56 PST 2007

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:23:33 +0100, Leons Petrazickis <leons.petrazickis at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In the Western world, the standard for highlighting is a neon yellow
> background. I submit that a much better name for <m> is <hi>
> text much -- if anything, "mark" implies underlining, circling, and
> drawing arrows -- but they do highlight. In university, I often saw
> students perched with their notes and a highlighter, marking important
> sections. The semantic meaning is to draw attention for later review.
>
> The default styling of <hi> would be a neon yellow background.
> Google's choice of #ffff66 could well be suitable.

A very good idea. I support it.

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:51:23 +0100, James Graham <jg307 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Sure. But what useful features could a general purpose UA implement if this
> semantic information is made avaliable to it?

1. Offer navigation (next/previous) amonng highlighted regions in the document.
(Probably only amongh <hi> sharing the same class.)
2. Turn highligting on/off. Google currently implements it thorough page reload
(serves a version without highligting), but this could be done client-side.

--
Alexey Feldgendler <alexeyf at opera.com>