[whatwg] De-emphasis

Mikko Rantalainen mikko.rantalainen at peda.net
Fri Feb 9 02:58:35 PST 2007

David Latapie wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:09:24 +0000, Nicholas Shanks wrote:
>> My concern here is whether this is supposed to be an absolute or
>> result in an emphasis level of 2 (relative) or −1 (absolute). What
>> would level="+3" mean?
>
> • I'd say: *default is 0*, so you would end up with 2. This is both
> the most intuitive and the easier to implement, calculate, IMHO.
>
> • +3 is really like bolder or smaller: this is a relative value[1]
>
>> <de-em>, <de-emph>, <subdue> or other new element
>
> You meant tag ;-) This is my belief that, the less elements the
> better. Negative values for de-emphasis is easier to handle: only one
> element and sums go naturally (+1-2=-1). As I suggested earlier, the
> convenient) shortcuts, respectively for <emph value="+1"> and <emph
> value="+2">
>
> And those who love highlighting text coulds use <emph value="+3"> ;-)

Please, how do you implement these features with CSS? I hope you're not
suggesting to add a specialized code path to support just emphasis and
de-emphasis.

I believe that <aside> and <small> are different from de-emphasis (that
would be <dem> IMHO). However, the <dem> element wouldn't be that often
used and it would be vital for it to be easily implemented. A new
element with specified semantics and a simple default CSS style would be
a nice choice. An example *implementation* could be a single CSS rule:

	dem { opacity: 0.8 }

How hard it would be to implement the behavior David described above?
Take any existing UA as a base.

Because I think <aside> (or a footnote) is something you can safely
ignore and is usually orthogonal to the rest of the content. <small> is
something you usually skip but you must be aware of the content (e.g. a
copyright or license boilerplate) - the key here is that the content is
often repeated but if you have read it *once*, then you may skip it
later. The <dem> would be something that you may skip without reading it
once but which is not orthogonal to the rest of the content and as such
shouldn't be considered equal to <aside>.

Example:
	in a UNIX shell <dem>because doing so would remove

Here I think that the explanation is also something that should be
emphasized. However, the reader can safely ignore the explanation. I
think that <dem> shouldn't be considered to be equal strength to <em>
but something less. Logically it could be -0.5 emphasis.

--
Mikko