[whatwg] caption for lists and others Re: XSLT: HTML 5 --> HTML

Karl Dubost karl at w3.org
Fri Feb 9 05:03:39 PST 2007

Le 9 févr. 2007 à 21:42, Jorgen Horstink a écrit :
> I totally agree. But then I would suggest to use some sort of title
> element. But that would not make sense because it conflicts with
> Hx. But if we want something like LH for lists, the question is;
> aren't there other elements which can use some sort of caption/
> title/header? How about images (viewing the title of the image
> seems useful to me)?

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html#edef-CAPTION

The caption element has been created for tables, but except if
browsers have a special parsing for it. I wonder what it would give
associated with other things like objects, lists, etc.
It's very common to see index of figures, index of tables, etc.

<ul>
     <caption>Here my caption</caption>
     …
</ul>

Or something like this

<ul>
     …
</ul>

Though Ian seems to say that meta is put back in the HEAD element.

Q1: Is it happening only in tag soup parsing mode?
Q2: Would a data element which has not been created yet would solve
the issue Q1?

<ul>
     <data property="dc:title">Here my caption</data>
     …
</ul>

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***