[whatwg] W3C compatibility

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Mon Feb 12 06:25:24 PST 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 16:01, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>
>> What's there in XHTML5 that would require breaking XHTML1 support (in
>> practice, predefined class names don't break practice)?
>
> That depends on whether any behaviour/presentation is specified for
> class names.
>
> Any AT or talking browser relying on <abbr> vs <acronym> as a
> pronunciation guideline is going to be broken by XHTML5's ditching of
> <acronym>:

That doesn't forbid UAs from supporting <acronym>.

> http://www.sidar.org/funacti/inves/resul.php

I don't understand Spanish well enough to see what line of argument
the page is supporting.

The only notable difference with/without markup that I see is on the
row that covers Jaws 3.7 in English on an obsolete system.

> Likewise, any document mapping using <h1> to <h6> to build hierarchies
> in a simple manner is going to be thrown by XHTML5's reuse of such
> headings for subtitles and by markup like:

>  <h4>Apples</h4>
>  <section>
>   <h2>Taste</h2>
>   <h6>Sweet</h6>
>   <h1>Color</h1>
>  </section>
>
> to use an example out of the spec.

That's not an XHTML 1.x document, so it isn't example of XHTML5
processing rules breaking legacy content.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/