[whatwg] Heading, binding, LH (was:XSLT: HTML 5 --> HTML)

Karl Dubost karl at w3.org
Tue Feb 13 00:18:59 PST 2007

David,

Le 9 févr. 2007 à 23:30, David Latapie a écrit :
> dl
>   dd (image)
>   dt (description)
> /dl

this is the opposite you should do.

Let's say that you have an image which is *really* part of a
definition list then

dl
   dt (image)        <- dt = Definition term        as in the term to
be defined.
   dd (description)  <- dd = Definition description as in the
explanation of the term.
/dl

For example, in a school a list of animal images with their definitions
	image of a fox with the appropriate alt
	and then the fox description.

> Exception is when I have several picture of the same thing
>
> dl
>   dd (image 1)
>   dd (image 2)
>   dd (image 3)
>   dt Various steps in the making of coffee
> /dl

This doesn't exist. dt must be always before dd. You can't do that. A
parser would not be able to  associate the three dd to the dt. Plus
the fact that it is an abuse of dl/dt/dd.

The appropriate thing to do is:

dl
   dt  Term 1 with 2 definitions
   dd
   dd

   dt  Term 2 with 1 definition
   dd

   dt  Term 3 with 3 definitions
   dd
   dd
   dd
/dl

Last but not least
> (by the way, here, an ordering would be great, but only ol may have
> semantic order - except if one consider that hN are semantically order
> and using CSS counter make them visually ordered too)

It /is/ ordered. Elements of an (XML) tree are ordered (it is one of
the differences with graphs.)

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***