[whatwg] Definition list and tables: what's the difference ?

Simon Pieters zcorpan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 07:17:57 PST 2007

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:52:23 +0100, Alexey Feldgendler
<alexey at feldgendler.ru> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:40:13 +0100, David Latapie <david at empyree.org>
> wrote:
>
>> My humble point: <table> can do everything <dl> can, whilst the reverse
>> is not true. He who can do more can do less.

> <dl>
> <dt>computer</dt>
> <dd>An electronic device for information processing.</dd>
> <dt>driver</dt>
> <dd>A computer program taking care of direct communication with a
> peripherial
> device.</dd>
> <dd>A person who drives a vehicle.</dd>
> </dl>

Note that as of HTML5 you want to use <dfn> in the <dt> when you're
defining terms.

> How would you represent this in a <table> without abusing the very idea
> of
> columns?

Don't know what you mean with "abusing columns", but:

communication with a peripherial

(Again use <dfn> if you're defining terms.)

more convenient to use (both for the author and the reader).

--
Simon Pieters