[whatwg] New markup constructs

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 20 05:00:23 PST 2007

Gervase Markham wrote:
> James Graham wrote:
>> [1] http://code.google.com/webstats/2005-12/classes.html
>
> What a useful URL. Where in that data is the basis for this "hi" or "m"
> element which has caused so much discussion recently?

Since it is designed as an annotation to a page rather than a part of the
markup, I don't think that it would show up in such a study.

> As I skim the flood of mail on that subject, I must confess that it
> seems that, while prospective use cases can be constructed, and fine
> semantic details can be carefully defined, I don't see the web today
> crying out for this element, or having to work around its lack.

I believe the element was introduced on the basis that there are lots of pages
that perform some kind of highlighting, especially of others' content e.g.
Google [1] and Yahoo[2] both use this on their cache pages, cam.ac.uk use it on
their search pages [3] (as I suspect do any other ultraseek based searches) and
popular browser addons seem to offer this functionality e.g. [4]. I certianly
agree that there are sufficient real world examples of the proposed semantics to
make this element worth consideration. Presumably the benefits of a specific
element would include a better accessibility story and CSS-based customisation
of the highlighting style.

> The current spec is pretty massive, and contains a lot of good stuff. As
> the above URL shows, we've covered all the major bases. At this stage,
> should we be erring on the side of not increasing the size without an
> excellent, real-world reason?

I strongly agree with that in general.

[1]
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:rL_bO-_wkrIJ:www.surtell.com/projects_code_google_highlighting.asp+google+highlighting&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3