[whatwg] several messages about HTML5

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 21 02:50:52 PST 2007

Gervase Markham wrote:
> (I guess I'm making an underlying assumption here that there aren't
> loads of existing pages on the web using HTML 5 predefined class names
> while expecting HTML 5 rendering and semantics for them. But, unless I'm
> missing something, that seems like a reasonable assumption.)

I think the class names in the spec have been chosen specifically because there
are lots of pages serendipitously using those class names for content with the
specified semantics. This will no longer be the case if the "-" prefix is added.
Clearly there is soom room for debate on whether the advantages of adding
accurate semantic information to many pages is outweight by the disadvantage of
adding inaccurate information to a few pages.