[whatwg] Definition list and tables: what's the difference ?

David Latapie david at empyree.org
Thu Feb 15 21:11:49 PST 2007

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:52:23 +0100, Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:40:13 +0100, David Latapie <david at empyree.org> wrote:
>
>> My humble point: <table> can do everything <dl> can, whilst the reverse
>> is not true. He who can do more can do less.

> <dl>
> <dt>computer</dt>
> <dd>An electronic device for information processing.</dd>
> <dt>driver</dt>
> <dd>A computer program taking care of direct communication with a
> peripherial
> device.</dd>
> <dd>A person who drives a vehicle.</dd>
> </dl>
>
> How would you represent this in a <table> without abusing the very idea of
> columns?

<caption>Mini-glossary of computing</caption>
<thead>
	<th>Definition</th>
	<th colspan="2">Term</th>
</thead>
<tbody>
peripherial
device.</td>
</tbody>

<caption>Mini-glossary of computing</caption>
<thead>
	<th>Definition</th>
	<th colspan="2">Term</th>
</thead>
<tbody>
peripherial
device.</td>
</tbody>

Now, is it abusing of columns, I really don't know. If a column is a
presentation definition, maybe. If it just a container for a key or a
value, I don't think so. After all, CSS encompasses everything in
boxes, including characters.
--
</david_latapie>             U+0F00
http://blog.empyree.org/en (English)