[whatwg] several messages about HTML5

David Latapie david at empyree.org
Wed Feb 21 08:34:04 PST 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:56:30 -0500, Michel Fortin wrote:
> Le 2007-02-20 à 19:05, Ian Hickson a écrit :
>
>> The proposal to have predefined class names is still very much in the air,
>> we're mostly waiting for author and implementation feedback to see if it
>> is workable. Currently the HTML5 spec leaves a number of things unanswered
>> (like what happens if two classes on an element are contradictory), so
>> it's definitely not finished.
>
> About that, I would like to suggest that the current text be changed
> to reserve class names starting with a dash "-" for private use. That
> way that we would have a pool of class names which are guarantied to
> not be taken over later when new predefined class names are added. It
> could even encourage some kind of namespacing for class names, in a
> similar way that CSS extensions -- or not yet standardised features
> -- are prefixed by the engine name like in -moz-border-radius or
> -webkit-column-count.

This seems an interesting feature to consider. Maybe we shall reserve
*two* class names=

• "-*" for experimental, as for CSS vendor profiles. Same prefix, same
meaning and consequently easier to understand/adopt.

• "micro-*" for what Michel suggested (that is, class names that have a
definitive meaning). I decided on micro, like microformat, but this is
really just a suggestion and maybe a bad one (refer to the <m> element
naming debate), so please investigate any other possibility.

> I think it'd be useful to have that on rel values (link types) as well.

rel="microformat"?

class="-footer" rel="microformat" and class="micro-footer"
rel="microformat"?
--
</david_latapie>             U+0F00
http://blog.empyree.org/en (English)