[whatwg] several messages about HTML5

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Feb 21 13:38:48 PST 2007

Vlad Alexander (xhtml.com) wrote:

> Is it due to a flaw in HTML that it is difficult to build authoring tools, such as WYSIWYG editors, that generate markup rich in semantics, embody best-practices and can be easily used by non-technical people? Since much of the content on the Web is created using such authoring tools, can we ever achieve a semantically rich and accessible Web?

It is not difficult to build such tools, or at least not more difficult
than building tools that do not maintain well-formedness. (assuming you
really mean GUI rather than WYSIWYG.) However most of the tools that
have been built have been built by programmers with more experience in
WYSIWYG word processors than in semantic markup. The semanticists who
have built GUI tools have not had the necessary user interface design
skills to produce working programs. What is needed is some work by
people who understand both domains.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!