[whatwg] Geolocation in the browser

Ryan Sarver rsarver at skyhookwireless.com
Wed Feb 21 17:48:58 PST 2007

Robert,

I hear you ... the idea is really two fold -- the first part is to standardize how web applications access the location information, regardless of how it is determined. The second is to offer a standard way of different location acquiring technologies -- GPS, Wifi positioning, geocoding an user-entered address, etc -- to deliver location to the browser. In this case I am proposing using the NMEA standard as it is well documented and would allow for compatibility with existing GPS devices.

I agree, there are very few GPS-enabled laptops - in fact the only one I know if us a UMPC - but there are a lot of Bluetooth capable laptops and Bluetooth antennas to provide the location. There are also solutions like ours at Skyhook that are software-only and would allow people to immediately begin to provide their location to the browser via a simple download.

This would all obviously be configurable in the UA...