[whatwg] [WF3] Web Forms 3.0 Feature List

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Sun Feb 25 01:58:20 PST 2007

Mihai Sucan wrote:
> No. I really meant commas, not semicolons. This is because I use commas
> to separate multiple email addresses in the "To:" field in Opera M2. I'm
> quite certain it also works in Outlook,

Incredibly (at least last time I looked) it only works when you check a
particular checkbox hidden deep in the prefs, which is off by default.
Why they don't just make it work, I have no idea. Gratuitious
incompatibility?

> One should also take into consideration the following:
>
> Given a list of emails (separated by commas or semicolons), e.g.:
> ana at example.com, lily at example.com, alina at example.com, spam at example.com.
>
> In Opera I can select this list and copy/paste it into the To field.
> This just works.™
>
> I find it hard to believe that does *not* work in Thunderbird.

It does - but see below.

> Now ... if the web application is made with a markup as you've provided,
> one has to manually copy/paste (or write) each email address in a single
> "To:" field. This is more than boring.

Not if it does the simple, smart thing that Thunderbird does - if you
paste in a comma-separated list of addresses, turn it into a list of
single entries.

Gerv