[whatwg] Geolocation in the browser

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Sun Feb 25 01:07:58 PST 2007

Kornel Lesinski wrote:
> But what about browsers that don't have access to GPS device nor
> geocoding service? These browsers could still return city and postcode
> information provided by the user and that could be enough for many
> applications (nearest branch locators, etc.).

Every browser should be able to get access to a geocoding service once
or twice, I think. It's the bulk use that would be needed for server
operators that's harder to get.

So if the user types in an address, the browser would use any number of
services to geocode it once - obviating the need for every server they
interact with to do it again and again.

> Ofcourse there should be option to ask every time, but it can't be the
> only option. Some users may prefer not to be bothered and have
> location-based services just working. Also there are IP<>geo databases,
> so some users may want to allow giving away information that has
> approximately same accuracy.

That's a good point; we could probably give data with this approximate
accuracy without asking permission. That's probably around the "city"
level of precision?

Gerv