[whatwg] Geolocation in the browser

Dave Raggett dsr at w3.org
Sun Feb 25 09:24:01 PST 2007

To develop an effective standard, there needs to be a broad
consensus on requirements and the proposed solution across all of
the players. Agreement on a set of illustrative use cases can help
to create a shared understanding as part of the process for forging
a concensus.

I would recommend becoming a member of the W3C and joining the
proposed Ubiquitous Web Applications working group. You would then
be able to make contributions on use cases, requirements and
potential solutions and work with others on developing the
corresponding working drafts.

Note that the resulting standard could be implemented in a number of
different ways, e.g. by browser vendors, or by third parties as
browser extensions, or as cross-browser plugins. As I stated in my
last email, the security considerations need to be addressed in a
broader context than just geolocation, and we hope to discuss the
usability implications at the forthcoming W3C workshop. The call for
papers for that will be published in a few days time.

p.s. the potential uncertainty in location data (e.g. when on the
boundary between two postal code areas) suggests a similarity with
speech recognition, and the consequent idea of returning a list of
hypotheses and associated confidence scores rather than just the
highest ranking solution. A more detailed assessment of the
requirements should perhaps include a study of uncertainty.

  Dave Raggett <dsr at w3.org> http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett