[whatwg] Should <address> be more general-purpose?

ddailey ddailey at zoominternet.net
Tue Feb 27 19:42:58 PST 2007

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis and Simon Pieters are having a discussion that I
understand (at last... at least, sort of, or at least ... I think I do) .
The discussion concerns the meaning of the word "address" and the tag
<address>. How much of the meaning of the word should reflect (for good or
for ill) in the <tag>.

I gather there may be ... for want of a better word ... "context" here:
things like what the proposed use of <address> was and historical arguments
and worst case scenarios and cost benefit analyses and best practices and
schema, rubrics and editorial policy. Accordingly, via any of said
contextual precedents, my remarks may be summarily (and, I hope, smugly)
ignored.

address as in:
       (1) : my address is 914 Chamomile Row, Herbtown, General Nostalgia
3.14159
       (2) : http://www.nobodyhere.com/justme/me.here
       (3): 192.168.1.1
       (4): Dept. of Departmental Subdivisions, Universe of Indivisibles,
Academia

lucubration -- case #
    (1)  is sort of like a unique locator within some physical space
        -- often used to contact a person or corporation; sometimes used to
verify an identity
    (2) is a URL/URI. is a unique identifier within the Internet
        --  generally used to retrieve information, usage cases can become
complex
    (3) is sort of like (2) except for oddities.
    (4) -- used to verify identity (for purposes of certainty in
attribution), or to contact a person.

Example (2) is handled in various ways in HTML -- usually, I think, as the
value of an attribute (or object property):
        : href=url
        : src=url
        : location=url
    *  : value=url -- (the "value" attribute is just a string and has no
interpretive semantics)
We may imagine, with little difficulty, a schema (perpetrating a minimum of
linguistic injustice) that handles these cases.

The others: (1) (3) and (4), on first glance, would seem to require some
sort of semantic tag living outside HTML but rather in some OWL-like space.
But then, what does "address" really mean in this modern era?

The term "address" probably has taken on a host of specialized meanings
(within the technological realm) that are slightly different than the above
uses -- some technology induced; others not.

To what extent can those who define "standards" allow themselves to be
influenced by "meanings" that humans bring with them? Should the humans
learn to abide by the standards, or should the standards adapt to extant
human usage (all bolluxed as it seems to be) ?

Let's look at one of the simplest uses of "address": use case (1)
        a unique locator within some physical space --  (1) : my address is
914 Chamomile Row, Herbtown, General Nostalgia 3.14159

Lots of relativity surrounds the way we provide unique locators in physical
space. Google Maps give us two obvious, but correlated, ways: street address
and (x.y) pairs of the form (latitude, longitude). Both rely on technology.

Street addresses only exist in places for which postal authorities have
already consented on a system of unique identifiers. Latitude longitude
pairs work well for areas that have been mapped (or have good cell phone
reception). Lots of places on earth remain indeterminate: Mines, jungles,
and the places where aircraft and submarines go. UPS probably does not
deliver in the Mariana Trench.

So suppose we step away from the technology for a moment and ask, what do we
mean by an address?
        : what is your address?   ==  translate ==    : how may I contact
you?
        : what is your address?   ==  translate ==    : how may I trust you?

How does that differ from
        : what is Marilyn's address?  ==  translate ==   : how may I contact
her?
        : what is Marilyn's address?  ==  translate ==   : how may I trust
her?

In the second case "how may I trust her" coming from a third party is quite
different than "how may I trust you" coming from the second person.

What humans (including those who invent internets)  mean by "address" can be
pretty complicated. If we, who invent internets, were to pretend that we
know better what an "address" is than those who for several centuries have
used, defined, and inhabited "addresses" then we will have made a new
language that humans will not only refuse to learn, but which they will be
compelled, by sheer moral indignation, to refuse to learn.

In experimental psychology in the US in the 1950's behaviorism was rampant.
Folks were fond of making "operational definitions".  The classic example
was B.F. Skinner defining "thinking" as its behavioral correlate: movements
of the vocal chords (which often accompanied people's unvocalized rehearsal
of thoughts they might later speak). The movements were measurable; the
thoughts were not.

Some reviled the attempt to reduce "thought" to the "thought-related
behavior" which happened, at time t, to be measurable by technology
Tech(t) -- If, for two times t and s, if t>s, then the "modern" sense of
progress would imply that Tech(t) is "better than" Tech(s). The
epistemological conundrums were rather fun for the philosophers of the
1960's, who made good sport of it in their journals. Nevertheless, the
psychologists still got more money from NSF. The AI researchers got to laugh
loudest, but they still have to pay for their music downloads.

 dpd