[whatwg] <blockquote cite> and <q cite>

Karl Dubost karl at w3.org
Wed Jan 3 14:50:44 PST 2007

Le 4 janv. 2007 à 01:41, Henri Sivonen a écrit :
> On Jan 3, 2007, at 18:22, Karl Dubost wrote:
>
>> As a side note, the fact that human authors are the main users of
>> the data doesn't mean that the rest of tools is useless.
>
> If HTML had unambiguous sourcing of quotations, what cool software
> would you write that would consume the markup?

Given into account that the notion of "cool" is very subjective and
tied to one's interests.

* http://web.archive.org/web/20030211001151/http://diveintomark.org/
archives/quotations/
http://web.archive.org/web/20030207035922/diveintomark.org/archives/
citations/
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/01/28/autocontent
* technorati, bloglines like
http://www.bookorati.com/
* threading for commenting system on Weblogs
a database of well known quotations, authors.
a databse of poetry
frequency analysis of quotes for texts.

I can also imagine a tool which displays possibility to have more
information on the quotes contained in the page by displaying a
widget with more exploration: spontaneous buy of the source which has
been cited (without to necessary use amazon), or get more information
about an author, redirecting to wikipedia
ala PageMapper http://labs.metacarta.com/PageMapper/
or OpenLayers http://openlayers.org/

> How would you convince authors to produce the markup?

For those who have an immediate benefits for their own markup do the
effort. It is a bit like math. Most people use substraction and
addition, a bit less multiplication, a bit less division, though on
simple calculator, there are the 4 operations.

For weblogs authoring tools, definitely in some circumstances, the
forms or templating of any kind.

http://www.w3.org/2000/08/eb58

See for example, a simple way with a bookmarklet to cite a Web document.
javascript:void(window.open('%20').document.write('%3Ctextarea%
20rows=20%20cols=80%3E%3Cblockquote%20cite=%22'+location.href+'%22%3E
\n\n%3Cp%3E'+document.getSelection()+'%3C/p%3E\n\n%3C/blockquote%3E\n
\n%3Cp%3E%3Ccite%3E%3Ca%20href=%22'+location.href+'%22%
3E'+document.title+'%3C/a%3E%3Cbr%20/%3E'+new%20Date
(document.lastModified).toUTCString()+'%3C/cite%3E%3C/p%3E%3C/textarea
%3E'))

In NetNewsWire, it already exists, you can Copy a quote, the
generated markup is not "perfect"  but it shows exactly one of the
possibility for authoring it.
http://jumpserve.com/blanco/archives/2002/08/30/cool-netnewswire-
blogging-feature/
http://face.centosprime.com/macosxw/?p=98

In fact the feature of "copy HTML with attribution" could be in any
kind of Web browsers by default.

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***