[whatwg] several messages

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jan 4 14:03:13 PST 2007

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> I think you are saying that it could allow it?

Yes.

> > The "tag soup" is just the parsing rules. The parsing rules are part
> > of the markup language. The markup language is explicitly in scope.
>
> Is there no room in a spec to make non-normative suggestions, and as way
> to get Good Ideas(tm) to occur to implementors that without any such
> suggestion may not occur to many, and certainly wouldn't occur to
> implementors across the board? Many of my suggestions are of that type.

Well, there's some room for that (that's mostly what the green notes are
in the spec), but in general those notes are only included for
uncontroversial suggestions -- when there's the slightest suggestion of
controversy, the suggestions are best included outside the spec. I
encourage you to post such suggestions on the blog (to gather feedback)
and then to create Wiki pages detailing the suggestions and including
summaries of the feedback you received. You could have suggestions for UI
for browsers for various features in the spec, as well as including
suggestions such as the one you mentioned in this thread.