[whatwg] <div> as a wrapper for inline content

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Thu Jan 4 16:32:39 PST 2007

Le 2007-01-03 à 20:26, Ian Hickson a écrit :

> Hmm. I guess we could say it is block-or-structured-inline-but-not-
> both,
> like most of the other elements.

This would make things easier with the Atom spec which says this
about HTML content:

    Example atom:title with HTML content:

    <title type="html">
      Less: <em> &lt; </em>
    </title>

    If the value of "type" is "html", the content of the Text construct
    MUST NOT contain child elements and SHOULD be suitable for handling
    as HTML [HTML]. HTML markup within SHOULD be such that it could
    validly appear directly within an HTML <DIV> element, after
    unescaping.

and for XHTML content:

    Example atom:title with XHTML content:

    <title type="xhtml" xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
      <xhtml:div>
        Less: <xhtml:em> < </xhtml:em>
      </xhtml:div>
    </title>

    If the value of "type" is "xhtml", the content of the Text construct
    MUST be a single XHTML div element [XHTML] and SHOULD be suitable
for
    handling as XHTML.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com