[whatwg] Problems with the definition of <cite>

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Fri Jan 5 22:56:57 PST 2007

On Jan 6, 2007, at 12:18 PM, fantasai wrote:

> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>
>> By the way, I didn't really get the arguments about implementing a
>> construct like:
>> At least not for visual user agents.
>
> I think the problem is what happens if I am, for example, writing
> a 5-paragraph essay comparing two books. I use lots of quotations
> from both books in the same paragraph in all five paragraphs, but
> the cite information is complete (author+title) only in the first
> instance, and the order if source and quotation is mixed up all
> over the place. You can machine-process the simple case of one
> quote, one cite, but there's no way to machine-process that without
> some help.

Right. The description of attaching adjacent <cite>s to <blockquote>
and <q> is not only a heuristic, it's a poor heuristic, because it will
fail often in those documents where <blockquote> and <cite> are used at
all. For example, it will fail where one <cite> element is in a
paragraph immediately between two <blockquote>s, when it may be the
citation of only one or neither of them.

There are other problems in WA1's current definition of <cite>
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-cite>. It says:

     This is the correct way to do it:

Despite this being consistent with the example given in the HTML 4
specification, it is not compatible with the Web (except for the tiny
part of it found on diveintomark.org and its imitators). All noticable
graphical browsers default to cite {font-style: italic}, and it is
inappropriate to italicize someone's name just because you're quoting
them. Therefore, that's not what Web authors -- or even HTML reference
authors -- understand <cite> to be for.
<http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/phrase/cite.html>
<http://webdesign.about.com/od/htmltags/p/bltags_cite.htm>
<http://urlx.org/microsoft.com/eec70>
(A counterexample is the Mozilla Developer Center's description of
<cite>, which uses the same example as the HTML 4 spec, but helpfully
shows how nonsensically Gecko would render it if you actually used it
that way. <http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/HTML:Element:cite>)

WA1 continues:

     This is also wrong, because the title and the name are not
     references or citations:

     This is correct, because even though the source is not quoted,
     it is cited:

         HTML</cite>, HTML is defined in formal specifications
         that were developed and published throughout the
         1990s.</p>

This is also incompatible with the Web, again because nobody would want
"the Wikipedia article on HTML" italicized unless they were emphasizing
it. On the other hand, if browser developers decided /en masse/ to
deitalicize <cite> by default, it would have no presentation at all, so
many fewer people would bother using it at all.

Further, it is a distinction most authors won't be able to understand.
For example, which of these paragraphs would be conformant?

     <cite>Peter F. Hamilton</cite>, because Hamilton describes
     wormholes as a way of travelling over long distances.</p>

     <cite>Peter F. Hamilton</cite>, because of Hamilton's
     description of wormholes.</p>

     <cite>Peter F. Hamilton</cite>, because of Hamilton's
     descriptions of various sci-fi ideas.</p>

     <cite>Peter F. Hamilton</cite>, because of Hamilton's
     descriptiveness and imagination.</p>

     Hamilton's latest book, <cite>Pandora's Star</cite>. This is a
     nearly 900 page book, part one of the <cite>Commonwealth
     Saga</cite>. I absolutely loved his first saga, the
     <cite>Night's Dawn Trilogy</cite>. So far this book is
     promising to be just as good.</p>

Even if you can carefully make the distinction between the conformant
and non-conformant examples, most authors will not. It is not
plausible, for example, that an author will realize "oh, I'm no longer
actually mentioning any of Hamilton's ideas from that *particular*
book, I'd better remove the invisible <cite> element around its title".

I think a more compatible and visually obvious (if less semantically
obvious) definition of <cite> is marking up the name of a work: a book,
film, exhibition, game, etc.

To close on a minor point: en-GB-hixie notwithstanding, it's
"preceded", not "preceeded". :-)

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas