[whatwg] Ruby markup - Furigana

fantasai fantasai.lists at inkedblade.net
Mon Jan 8 14:15:45 PST 2007

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> For now, to provoke comments supporting or refuting my totally
> uninformed hypothesis, I am assuming that example of the reading not
> really being the reading (は vs. わ) as explained at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby/#non-visual is not a real problem (see below).
> Or at least that leaving the problem unsolved and the default aural
> rendering slightly wrong in some cases is better than saying that ruby
> cannot have a reasonable default aural rendering at all.

Yeah, I'd agree that that's not a real problem. All that paragraph
is saying is that you can't just sound out ruby annotations, just
like you can't just sound out base text, because kana and bopopmofo
are not a linguist's phonetic annotation system, they're writing
systems and all that implies. :)

~fantasai