[whatwg] contenteditable, <em> and <strong>

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Wed Jan 10 05:17:55 PST 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 13:26, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> The message "please use <b> and <i> unless you really know what
> you're doing, and generate <b> and <i> unless your users really
> know what they're doing" is *not* well-known.

What's the expected payoff if the message is made well-known?

> It has not yet consumed much time, effort, money, blog posts, spec
> examples or discussion threads. In the absence of other evidence, I
> think it is worth trying.

In that case, I suggest making the content models for <b> and <i>
equally versatile as the content models for <strong> and <em>.
Otherwise, authors and tool vendors will go with the elements with
the more versatile content models just in case the versatility is
ever needed.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi