[whatwg] Sandboxing scripts in pages

James M Snell jasnell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 16:48:39 PST 2007

Comments on a blog, no. (I'm not sure who brought up that use case). I'm
thinking more along the lines of widgets embedded into a page. E.g.,
many users of our internal blogs like to embed widgets from various
external sites into their templates.  Many of these are embedded using
<script src="..." />.  Because these scripts run within the context of
the larger page, a potentially malicious script that has access to the
complete DOM could silently scrape content from the page and send that
out to an external server.

Again, I'm not proposing any particular solution.  Nor am I saying there
aren't already existing solutions to these problems that can work.  What
I'm saying is that having some way of isolating a script would be ideal
and I was curious as to what others had to say about it.

- James