[whatwg] contenteditable="" values and isContentEditable

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Fri Jan 19 13:51:43 PST 2007

The following would match Internet Explorer (and Opera's current
implementation):

  - The empty string
  - "true" (case-insensitive match)
    -> Content of the element is editable.

  - "false" (case-insensitive match)
    -> Content of the element is *not* editable.

  - Any other value
    -> Equivalent to not specifying the attribute.

This is based on some tests I made last year
http://dump.testsuite.org/2006/contenteditable/ to find out what we had to
do in Opera.

I think it would also be a good idea to add the isContentEditable DOM
attribute to HTMLElement as it needs to be supported for compatibility and
it allows you to find out whether or not an element is editable when the
contenteditable attribute is not directly specified on it (but on an
ancestor element).

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>