[whatwg] xml:space

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Mon Jan 22 08:52:52 PST 2007

On Jan 22, 2007, at 16:32, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Since this editor artifact is harmless in browsers and useful in
> editors, it would be nice if the spec made it conforming at least
> on the <pre> element in XHTML5.

Suggested text:
The xml:space attribute may be used on XHTML elements of XML
documents. Authors must not use the xml:space attribute in HTML
documents. The xml:space attribute, if present, must have the literal
value "default" or the literal value "preserve". The meaning of this
attribute is outside the scope of this specification.

If that's too permissive, here's what would minimally cover my use case:
In XHTML (but not in HTML), the element pre may have the attribute
xml:space. If the attribute is present, the value of the attribute
must be "preserve".

The first conforms to XML 1.0 for sure. The latter may not exactly,
depending on spec interpretation.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi