[whatwg] Web forms 2, input type suggestions

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Sun Jul 15 08:31:51 PDT 2007

Benjamin Joffe wrote:
> Have the following possible values for the TYPE attribute been considered
> for the INPUT element?

The major problem with all of your proposals is that you have not
described any problem that they solve, nor provided any use cases for them.

> type="color"
> The user agent would display an appropriate colour picker and would send a
> hexidecimal string represting that colour to the server.

Can you provide some examples of sites that ask the user to select a
colour in a form, describe how they currently solve the problem and
explain how/why this type would solve it better?

Here's a few sites I found that ask the user to select colours.

http://www.haymespaint.com.au/haymes/colourcentre/
http://www.ficml.org/jemimap/style/color/wheel.html
http://wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/

I can't figure out how any of those would benefit from the new input
type.  Can you?  Are there any other sites that would?

> type="address"
> Indicates that the input should represent an address, the user agent may
> aid by displaying data from a GPS or use an online map etc.

I've never seen a site that asks for an address, for which type=text is
inadequate.

> type="location"
> Same as above but instead of sending an address string it would send
> latitude/longitude information, this (as opposed to the above) would send a
> well-formed string.

Some example sites that ask for GPS coordinates and a description of how
they currently do so would help, and a description of how this would
solve the problem better.

Flickr, for example, allows users to drag photos onto a map to indicate
where they were taken, and assigns GPS coordinates to them.  How would
that new type improve Flickr?  Would you expect them to use this new
input type for their purposes?

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/