[Whatwg] Request for HTML-only print link

Sander html5 at zoid.nl
Fri Jul 27 22:12:50 PDT 2007

Sander Tekelenburg schreef:
> What is the point of such print links anyway? UAs already provide their own
> built-in print buttons. Just like they provide back buttons. What's the point
> of making something that already works the same across  different sites, make
> more difficult for users by making it look/work different on different sites?

Well, it can be usefull from a usability point of view to offer this
function from within the web page, for instance: "you may want to print
this confirmation", where print is a link that actually prints the page.
Not all people are familiar with the user interfaces of UAs. Or maybe
you want to offer people the option to print different parts of the page
seperately. Print links are quite common. Are they all examples of bad
practice?

> Btw, I don't understand what "HTML-only" means.

What I meant was: -not dependent on client side scripting-.

cheers,
Sander