[whatwg] Drop UTF-32

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Mon Jun 4 04:17:58 PDT 2007

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:34:56 +0200, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:

>> Including it in a few encoding detection algorithms is no big deal on
>> us implementers: as the spec stands we aren't required to support it
>> anyway. All the spec requires is that we include it within our encoding
>> detections (so, if we don't support it, we can then reject it).

> What's the right thing for an implementation to do when UTF-32 is not
> supported? Decode as Windows-1252? Does that make sense?

Seems like a general question: what's the right thing to do when the
document's encoding is not supported? There isn't a reasonable fallback
for every encoding.

Also, even for those encodings for which a single-byte encoding like
Windows-1252 can be a reasonable fallback, it's doesn't seem wise to me to
mandate the use of Windows-1252 (or any other fixed encoding) as the
fallback. Some software, especially in devices, already exists that only
supports one or several encodings, and these are the most important ones
in the local market (e.g. Japanese in devices sold in Japan).