[whatwg] Drop UTF-32

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Mon Jun 4 06:39:03 PDT 2007

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 15:15:06 +0200, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:

> I think it is perfectly reasonable to make support for UTF-8 and
> Windows-1252 part of UA conformance requirements. After all, a piece of
> software that doesn't support those two really has no business
> pretending to be a UA for the World Wide Web. Not supporting
> Windows-1252 based on "local market" arguments is serious walled-
> gardenism.

On the other hand, declaring Windows-1252 as the default encoding is
monoculturalism. For example, in Russia, whenever Windows-1252 is chosen,
it is definitely a wrong choice. It's never used in Russia because it
doesn't contain Cyrillic letters. A default of Windows-1251 or KOI8-R
might be reasonable in Russia, though none of them is a 100% safe guess.

This is to say that there shouldn't be any mandated fallback encoding.
Whenever a fallback encoding is needed, it should be taken from the user
preferences or vendor presets which are likely to reflect the most popular
encoding in the area.