[whatwg] Lowercase attribute values

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jun 5 16:25:57 PDT 2007

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> In XHTML there are attributes whose value must be in lowercase, although
> in HTML the value is case-insensitive. The most common example is the
> method attribute of the form element. But should rev and rel be
> lowercased?
>
> A piece of software that maps from the HTML flavor of HTML5 to the XHTML
> flavor and needs to decide which attribute values to lowercase. How
> should the decision be done? Based solely on the attribute name? (In
> which case 'type' would be interesting.) Based on both the element name
> and the attribute name? What is the recommended method for the author of
> such a piece of software for extracting the list of special cases from
> the spec?

There are no more differences between XHTML and HTML now as far as this
goes, as far as I know. Please let me know if I missed one.

> How should the lowercasing be performed? Using the locale-insensitive
> Unicode case data or for ASCII only treating non-ASCII as an error?

So long as you don't do it in the Turkish locale, it should be fine. I
haven't really made the spec very clear on this yet, but there's a red box
about it; it'll be dealt with in due course.