[whatwg] Serialize comments that contain "-->"

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jun 5 23:11:05 PDT 2007

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Simon Pieters wrote:

> What should happen with comments that contain "-->" when you serialize
> the DOM into HTML? When serializing into XML it should result in a fatal
> error according to DOM3Core[1], but I guess that is not really desired
> for HTML. Should the comment be dropped? Should the serializer insert a
> space in between ("- ->")?

The spec says:

# If the element's contents are not conformant, it is possible that
# the roundtripping through innerHTML will not work. For instance, if
# the element is a textarea element to which a Comment node has been
# appended, then assigning innerHTML to itself will result in the
# comment being displayed in the text field. Similarly, if, as a
# result of DOM manipulation, the element contains a comment that
# contains the literal string "-->", then when the result of
# serialising the element is parsed, the comment will be truncated at
# that point and the rest of the comment will be interpreted as
# markup. Another example would be making a script element contain a
# text node with the text string "</script>".

It currently says this for innerHTML. Should I say it in other places too?
Or would something else be better?