[whatwg] Steps for finding one or two numbers in a string

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jun 8 19:59:01 PDT 2007

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> The part of the spec about numbers at
> http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#numbers talks about
> skipping characters in the class Zs. Also, it talks about characters
> like U+066A ARABIC PERCENT SIGN, U+FE6A SMALL PERCENT SIGN and U+FF05
> FULLWIDTH PERCENT SIGN.
>
> On the other hand, when the spec talks about digits, it talks about
> "U+0030 DIGIT ZERO to U+0039 DIGIT NINE" and not about character class
> Nd.

I'd be ok with talking about more numbers if they are indeed potentially
used in these scenarios and their processing can be clearly defined.

> Referring to character classes instead of particular characters is
> problematic, because what constitutes a conforming number changes when
> Unicode introduces ANCIENT BRUTOPIAN QUARTER CUBIT SPACE or SYLDAVIAN
> VULGAR DIGIT FIVE.

It changes to become more permissible, which seems ok to me. What's the
problem scenario?

> I think i18n political correctness has no place in attributes. I think
> they should be ASCII only with the XML notion of whitespace.

I agree and believe the spec already requires this.

> However, the human-readable fallback content of the progress and meter
> elements is not so clear-cut. Still, I doubt whether it is worthwhile to
> have an unstable but universal number format for content that is
> displayed to end users only as fallback.

How is it unstable? Unicode never drops characters, and the characters
are only added to classes when they don't previously exist.