[whatwg] accessibility management for timed media elements, proposal

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Jun 11 03:09:09 PDT 2007

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
> I honestly don't think the property values are well-named. "either" is
> confusing and vague; "dont-want" is a misspelled colloquialism. How
> about one of the following possibilities:
>
> captions: wanted
> captions: unwanted
> captions: no-preference

What happened to "yes", "no", "default"/"inherit"?

"Wanted" seems to indicate a preference - but all stylesheets indicate a
preference, because they can be overridden. So there's no need to
include that principle again in the names.

> Unless we want to treat sign interpretation as a special form of
> subtitling. How is subtitling in various languages to be handled?

That seems to make sense to me, apart from the point that perhaps it
would be implemented differently, as it's not text-based.

Gerv