[whatwg] Entity parsing

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jun 14 18:05:05 PDT 2007

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006, Øistein E. Andersen wrote:

> From section 9.2.3.1. Tokenising entities:
> >  For some entities, UAs require a semicolon, for others they don't.
>
> This applies to IE.
>
> FWIW, the entities not requiring a semicolon are the ones encoding
> Latin-1 characters, the other HTML 3.2 entities (&amp, &gt and &lt), as
> well as &quot and the uppercase variants (&AMP, &COPY, &GT, &LT, &QUOT
> and &REG). [...]

I've defined the parsing and conformance requirements in a way that
matches IE. As a side-effect, this has made things like "na&iumlve"
actually conforming. I don't know if we want this. On the one hand, it's
pragmatic (after all, why require the semicolon?), and is equivalent to
not requiring quotes around attribute values. On the other, people don't
want us to make the quotes optional either.