[whatwg] Entity parsing

Kornel Lesinski kornel at osiolki.net
Fri Jun 15 12:31:01 PDT 2007

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 19:37:46 +0100, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com>
wrote:

>>> I've defined the parsing and conformance requirements in a way that
>>> matches IE. As a side-effect, this has made things like "na&iumlve"
>>> actually conforming. I don't know if we want this.
>>
>> Rather not. This would break unencoded URLs:
>>
>> ?foo=bar&region=baz → ?foo=bar®ion=baz
>
> You mean that Internet Explorer breaks them already? That doesn't make
> much sense to me.

No, IE doesn't break them, and that's the point.

Section 8.2.3.1. states "This definition is used when parsing entities in
text and in attributes." - if I understand this correctly, this makes
semicolon optional for entities in both attributes and text and "&region"
in attribute would be interpreted as "®ion".
If that's the case, it is not compatible with IE, because it parses
entities differently in attributes and text. Semicolon (or any
non-alphanumeric character actually) is required in attributes, but in
text it is not.

In IE6 <a href="&region">&region</a> is equivalent to

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński