[whatwg] Please make < inside tags a parse error

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Mon Jun 18 00:07:25 PDT 2007

On Jun 18, 2007, at 00:15, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> The new treatment of < inside tags is
>  * Potentially very confusing for authors
>  * Different from previous de jure parsing
>  * Different from what shipped Gecko and WebKit do.
>
> Therefore, please add an entry for < to tag name state, before
> attribute name state, attribute name state, after attribute name
> state and attribute value (unquoted) state:
>
> U+003C LESS-THAN SIGN (<)
>   Parse error. Then treat according to the "Anything else" entry
> below.

Anne pointed out on IRC that I hadn't properly considered the tag
name state, before attribute name state, attribute name state and
after attribute name state being caught on a higher layer anyway.

In the case of attribute value (unquoted) state Gecko and WebKit
already do what the spec says. It is highly confusing though.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/