[whatwg] HTML syntax: comments before doctype and doctype sniffing

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Jun 18 13:12:33 PDT 2007

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006, Simon Pieters wrote:

> The parsing section says that a comment before the doctype may trigger
> quirks mode. Therefore I think the syntax section shouldn't allow
> comments before the doctype (only space characters).

I made a comment not trigger quirks mode. That was a bug.

> Also, as an additional constraint in the syntax section, the entire
> doctype probably should (or must) be within the first 1024 bytes,
> because AFAIK browsers generally only sniff for the first 1024 bytes,
> and if they don't find the entire doctype within that then you get
> quirks mode.

I couldn't reproduce that. It's possible you were hitting TCP packet
boundaries, which could indeed make a difference here; however, since the
DOCTYPE sniffing in the spec is now defined as part of the actual parser,
it's no longer necessary to have a second pass, meaning we no longer have
to have a look-ahead buffer and we are therefore not limited by packet
sizes. Unless an actual site breaks because of this I think we should just
work with it.