[whatwg] Entity parsing

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Sat Jun 23 05:54:37 PDT 2007

On Friday 15 June 2007 03:05, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Nov 2006, Øistein E. Andersen wrote:
> > From section 9.2.3.1. Tokenising entities:
> > >  For some entities, UAs require a semicolon, for others they don't.
> >
> > This applies to IE.
> >
> > FWIW, the entities not requiring a semicolon are the ones encoding
> > Latin-1 characters, the other HTML 3.2 entities (&amp, &gt and &lt), as
> > well as &quot and the uppercase variants (&AMP, &COPY, &GT, &LT, &QUOT
> > and &REG). [...]
>
> I've defined the parsing and conformance requirements in a way that
> matches IE. As a side-effect, this has made things like "na&iumlve"
> actually conforming. I don't know if we want this. On the one hand, it's
> pragmatic (after all, why require the semicolon?), and is equivalent to
> not requiring quotes around attribute values. On the other, people don't
> want us to make the quotes optional either.

What about the Gecko entity parsing extension?

- IE consitently parses unterminated entities from latin-1
- Gecko parses all unterminated entities, even those beyond latin-1, but only
in text-content, not in attributes. (seems my recent firefox also supports
the IE parsing in attributes now.)

See the attached test-case.

`Allan