[whatwg] The issue of interoperability of the <video> element

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 05:46:36 PDT 2007

On 6/25/07, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, and will you look at this, Apple, Inc. holds one the patents!  US
> 6,134,243 [4].  So Apple gets money for every single license sold.
> How nice.  They are attempting to lock vendors into MPEG-4 and get
> money from licenses in the process.  Apple, Inc. is no better than
> Microsoft.
> [4] http://www.mpegla.com/m4s/m4s-att1.pdf

It is their fair right to have such patents and make money from them.
I have no issue with that. It just makes it a bit hard to make
unbiased decisions. I believe Apple in this forum tries to balance
their interests with the needs of the community. They are a commercial
body after all, so let's not make it harder for them than it already
is.

Regards,
Silvia.