[whatwg] The issue of interoperability of the <video> element

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 15:37:40 PDT 2007

Jeroen,

On 6/27/07, Jerason Banes <jbanes at gmail.com> wrote:
> While I agree with your sentiment, I don't see a better option. The purpose
> of the HTML5 spec is to provide a unified web applications platform that
> supports the existing web in a practical manner. If the spec sticks with
> Theora as the baseline implementation, it runs the risk of no one
> implementing that part of the specification. If no one implements the Theora
> codec, then the attempts to standardize the <video> tag will be all for
> naught.

And again there is a lack of information.

Opera have already implemented support for Ogg Theora and the <video> tag.
(see http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=5545573096553082541&pr=goog-sl)

Mozilla is on its way to implementing support for Ogg Theora and the
<video> tag.

The library in development for Firefox is universal and
platform-independent (and of course open source), such that it could
easily be integrated into IE or Safari.

Regards,
Silvia.