[whatwg] <video> element proposal

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Fri Mar 2 06:15:02 PST 2007

Gervase Markham wrote:

> I think there's a strong driver for uptake. As I understand it, all
> these video-sharing sites are paying mountains of cash to
> Adobe/Macromedia for the backend software licences to support Flash
> video streaming. If they could have 15 or 20% fewer servers doing that,
> and stream to Firefox using Theora instead, the cost saving would be an
> incentive for them to change their site. Particularly if we implemented
> <video> in a way which gave them all the capabilities the flash player
> has - e.g. fast forward, rewind, seek etc.

But there's one capability of Flash I don't want to give them: the
ability to block users from easily downloading, editing, and reusing the
content.

You may be right, and I hope you are, but I suspect content hording may
be important enough to them to justify the extra 15% or 20% cost.

OTOH, this might enable lower cost, less hordeful competitors, That
would be nice.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!