[whatwg] <video> element proposal

Geoffrey Sneddon foolistbar at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 3 05:09:23 PST 2007

On 1 Mar 2007, at 05:27, Shadow2531 wrote:

> On 2/28/07, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Opera has some internal expiremental builds with an implementation
>> of a
>> <video> element. The element exposes a simple API (for the moment)
>> much
>> like the Audio() object:
>
> I think it'd be cool if the video element *just* supported theora.

Why limit yourself to one format? Very, very, very few specifications
limit the format so strictly, and with good reason: WA1 won't
actually be a standard until the next decade, if not the one after
that, and in that time, there will easily be _far_ more efficient
codecs created. We could just say we only support theora, then add on
others later, but why when having multiple options not allow anything
to start with?

- Geoffrey Sneddon