[whatwg] <video> element proposal

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Mar 6 02:11:01 PST 2007

James Graham wrote:
> Widespread deployment (despite not working in many situations Flash has
> close enough to 100% of the desktop market for content producers to
> ignore the rest). In practice this means at least two things. Firstly,
> browser manufacturers without significant in-house video expertise
> should be able to implement the spec using an external library. Secondly
> it means that we should be able to implement it in existing versions of
> IE somehow.

A good point. I know nothing about extending IE; would it be possible to
have an IE addon which implemented support for a <video> tag, or would
it need to be a plugin and therefore use <object>-style markup?

While it's not as neat in spec terms, if it makes the difference between
"IE can't support it" and "IE can support it with additional software",
then a carefully defined subset of <object> might be a better route than
a new tag. Something like "Any object tag with the following attributes
exactly should be treated in the following fashion..." (and from then on
pretend it's a <video> tag).

Gerv