[whatwg] <video> element proposal

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Tue Mar 6 05:40:51 PST 2007

Maik Merten wrote:

> Well, I guess everybody here will hate me for proposing it... and I
> think it's ugly... but well...
>
> <video>
> Perhaps a verbose description of what can be seen here?
> <novideo>
> D'oh, your browser is outdated... let's embed an <object> here
> </novideo>
> </video>

I don't think we need a novideo element. This would work:

<video>
     Complete marked up transcript of the video.
</video>

This is much more accessible and great for search engine optimization.

Of course, not everyone has the resources to provide full transcripts
all the time, but we should encourage that for those publishers that can.

We can even throw in embed elements for users whose browsers don't
recognize video.

Must ignore wins again. :-)

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!