[whatwg] Seminar preview/review

Simon Pieters zcorpan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 14:46:15 PST 2007

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 22:18:14 +0100, Elliotte Harold
<elharo at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

> In a couple of weeks I'll be talking about Web Forms 2.0 at Software
> Development 2007 West. Time permitting, I'll throw in some HTML 5/ Web
> Apps 1.0 material too. I've posted the current draft of my notes here:
>
> http://www.cafeconleche.org/slides/sd2007west/webforms2/
>
> There's still plenty of time for me to make corrections, additions, or
> deletions if anyone cares to comment. Thanks!

I think you should probably use <p> elements instead of <br />... Forms
generally require block-level children, and using <br> as a separator of
thematic groups is not correct usage according to HTML5.

Buttons shouldn't have <label>s.

23: Form controls can't go in <head>. Only empty forms can, and that only
in XHTML.

30: <button type="delete">... doesn't do much outside its template.

36: The example doesn't specify enctype="text/plain".

65, 67: The spec refers to them as "link types", not "link roles".

69: What's up with xmlns:xinclude="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"? (And
where's the doctype? ;-) )

72: Must contain an initial <legend>, even.

73: The menu element is a list (or menu) of commands (menu items).

74: "Block level element for"... for what? :-)

81: Hmm... I'd probably put the date related information (title, class) in
a <time> element. You also have some presentational attributes in there.

87: There is no HTML5 vs. XHTML, because there is XHTML5. (XHTML5 XMLizes
HTML5.) "Malformed" (and well-formedness) only applies to XML, HTML
doesn't have such a concept. (Also on slide 88.)

88: You can use MathML and SVG in XHTML5.

89: Some things can be (and already are) used today...
http://forums.whatwg.org/viewtopic.php?t=3#7

90: http://blog.whatwg.org/faq/#schedule

Nice presentation! And good luck with it. :-)

--
Simon Pieters