[whatwg] Using the HTML5 DOCTYPE as a new quirksmode switch

Simon Pieters zcorpan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 06:20:01 PST 2007

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 14:43:44 +0100, Elliotte Harold
<elharo at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

> Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
>
>> The tutorials will just say "Use <!DOCTYPE html>".
>>

> What are those of us who wish to use XML tools on our documents supposed
> to use? We will need a real DTD at some point, to declare the entities
> if nothing else. We will not be able to use <!DOCTYPE html>.

"<!DOCTYPE html>" is for text/html, not for XML. For XML you could either
drop the doctype altogether, or, if you really want to point to a DTD, you
could just use the system identifier (the public identifier won't do
anyone any good), or you could use the internal subset.

Why would you need to declare entities, though?

--
Simon Pieters