[whatwg] Using the HTML5 DOCTYPE as a new quirksmode switch

Matthew Ratzloff matt at builtfromsource.com
Sat Mar 10 21:40:18 PST 2007

I don't care about DTD, but DOCTYPE is established, so it seems strange to
trash it in favor of something new when the benefit is questionable (as
far as I can tell).  It is also evident to me that there needs to be some
kind of versioning--consistent rendering shouldn't be a moving target.

If DTD is out, bring back the deprecated "version" attribute that it
replaced.  Assuming there is only one version of HTML 5.0, the following
would work:

All attributes optional, obviously.

-Matt