[whatwg] Configure Apache to send the right MIME type for XHTML

L. David Baron dbaron at dbaron.org
Sun Mar 11 10:41:45 PDT 2007

On Sunday 2007-03-11 18:26 +0100, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * L. David Baron wrote:
> >My dismissal of XHTML is that the designers of XHTML and related
> >standards are repeatedly introducing more and more incompatibility
> >between XHTML and HTML, which makes it progressively harder for
> >authors to transition to XHTML (particularly to do so gradually on a
> >large site).
>
> Out of curiosity, do you dismiss "HTML5" on the same grounds? As an
> example, http://www.bjoernsworld.de/suchmaschinen/robots-txt.html is
> as close as it comes to a proper HTML document, but to turn it into
> a HTML5 document I would need to make many non-trivial changes, e.g.

The distinction here is that all of these are either removed
features or correctness of document semantics, and therefore don't
affect implementation behavior.  An implementation that implements
both HTML4 and HTML5 will handle all of them, and therefore authors
can transition gradually between the two (although they'll
technically not be conformant to either while doing so, and many may
well stay in that state permanently).

(The value of having these things as changes in HTML5 comes from
authors who use conformance checkers that will tell them to avoid
these bad practices, not from implementations behaving differently.)

-David